If you’re noticing that your summer clothes are dull and grey and your whites are yellowing, part of the problem may be a dirty washing machine, according to the experts at The Maids. To keep you and your wearables looking fresh, The Maids suggest the following steps for cleaning your laundry room:
- Clean out your washer every month or so by adding vinegar to the wash cycle. For top loaders, turn the setting to the largest load and fill the empty machine with hot water. Once filled, stop the cycle and add three to four cups of distilled white vinegar. Turn off the machine. After letting the water sit for about 30 minutes to an hour, restart the machine and finish the cycle. To eliminate odor, add one-half cup of baking soda to the vinegar-water mixture. For front-loading machines, place vinegar and baking soda into the empty machine and run through a wash cycle.
- Occasionally wipe out the inside of the machine with a damp cloth or soft brush and a tiny bit of detergent.
- To keep the machine clean and eliminate residue, use less detergent. Oftentimes, you can cut the amount in half. Add a small amount of vinegar, about one-fourth cup, to the rinse cycle to replace fabric softener. Vinegar is less expensive and is a natural whitening agent, leaving white clothes whiter and colored clothes brighter.
- If you have a removable detergent compartment, let it soak in vinegar to eliminate sticky residue. If it is not removable, warm a cup of vinegar in the microwave then pour it into the detergent compartment. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before running a wash cycle.
- After every use, empty the dryer's lint trap. About once a week, get rid of all the lint residue on the trap by washing it in the sink or vacuuming it. Use a long, flexible brush to clean any stray lint from the housing that holds the lint trap. Occasionally clean the inside of the dryer by wiping it down with a damp cloth and a tiny dab of dishwashing detergent.
- Use the same method – damp cloth and dishwashing liquid – to clean fronts, sides and tops of machines.
The Laundry Room
- Sweep or vacuum the floor, launder any rugs and dust or vacuum under the washer and dryer, being careful to avoid hoses and cords.
- Occasionally clean the dryer hose with a duster or long vacuum attachment. This will clear away lint stuck to the walls of the hose. Follow manufacturer's directions for detaching the hose.
- Clean the sink and deodorize the drain by pouring in one-four cup of baking soda followed by a cup of white distilled vinegar. After letting the mix sit for about 15 minutes, rinse with hot water.
Published with permission from RISMedia.